3.2. Installing python requirements¶
The Raspbian Wheezy images comes with python 2.7 already installed, but BrewPi uses a few python modules that you have to install yourself:
- pySerial For communication with the Arduino.
- simplejson To encode and decode JSON objects. Easier to use than the default JSON module.
- ConfigObj For configuration files support.
- psutil To view running processes and close/kill them from within python
- python-git A Python library to work with git repositories. Used by the update script.
All 5 modules can be easily installed with apt-get:
sudo apt-get install python-serial python-simplejson python-configobj python-psutil python-git
Finally, the python script can reprogram the Arduino, but it needs avrdude to do so. Install arduino-core, which includes avrdude.
sudo apt-get install arduino-core
That’s it, everything is ready for running the BrewPi script. Let’s get it from GitHub in the next step.